If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
Friday, November 07, 2008
A hero, or a villain?


Have started my 2 weeks compliance leave since this Tuesday. It's a good and necessary break after going through the hustles to earn a good living.
While having my lunch at the nearby kopitiam these few days, I can always find people who are in their mid 30's or 40's sitting there aimlessly with a cup of coffee or tea on the table. Are they serving their compliance leave too? Or they have lost their jobs due to the recent market turmoil?
Life is not easy. The same goes for being a good man.
Now I realize that it's a luxury to live alone and never bother what's going on around you. People tend to exert pressures on you to live up to their expectation. You just can't escape from your current post and do whatever you want.
Thirty years ago life might be a lot easier. Many people claim that we have much better living standard now. We have Internet, eye-catching handphones, mp3 players, cameras, iMac and many many other great millennial innovations. But if we ask our parents or grandparents, I'm sure they would rather live in the old times. Nowadays the food are toxic, the water and air are polluted, the weather is unpredictable, the government and public debt are unprecedented, money are getting smaller.....
The 2-week break is helpful. When you are not working and staying at home with your mind floating in the air, you tend to ponder the real thing you should pursue in life. The question "Is this really what you want?" always cross my mind and it could bombard me the whole day.
Okay, I need a break. Yes, I'm having it right now.....

It's all happening so fast. My life is a speeding train and I'm not sure where it's headed. One thing is certain, I've been given a second chance, touched by God and I've got to believe that he has a purpose for my life. So why am I filled with self-doubt? Plagued by demons, real and imaginary? Frightened by the challenges ahead, and haunted by the ghosts of my past? Does God know what I am? Do I? Am I an angel, or a monster? A hero, or a villain? And why can't I see the difference?

~~ Heroes season 3, chapter 5 - Angels and Monster

3 Comments:
Blogger Fizi said...
Really?

Blogger Kent said...
Really what?

Blogger bin said...
Keep your Heroes for me.

By the way, always find ways to keep ourselves having choices. Getting more money may not be the only way (as money is always not enough). Maybe living a simpler life should do.